Friday, May 1, 2020

Better Apple Times

Good morning, afternoon, or evening!  

As I contemplated the topic of my next blog post, I thought of the state that our country is in currently with the COVID-19 pandemic.  I felt that we all needed a bit of a boost and reminder of better times.  In this issue of The Royal View I will share a recipe that will make you briefly forget about Coronavirus, quarantine, unemployment, homeschooling, etc.    

I was in the middle of making a batch of Auntie Kat's Apple Butter for Royal Cottage, and recalled going fruit picking as a child.  One adventure I remember best is apple picking.  We meticulously picked our apples, brought the apples back home, cleaned and cored them, and watched my grandmother make an apple pie.  She would then place all of the ingredients on the table and let us "have at it", meaning it was our turn to try and make a pie.  While part of the lesson was how to make a pie crust...I sadly did not retain this info.  To be honest, to this day I still cannot consistently make a good pie crust.  😞    

So, the way that I recreate apple pie is by making an apple crisp.  This recipe pairs well with french vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.  Full disclosure, I have never been a huge fan of any type of pie.  But apple crisp gives a different texture because of the topping.  Feel free to play with the topping mixture in this recipe; add raisins, dried cranberries, pecans, walnuts, etc.  Tip: sliced apples, cinnamon, and crushed walnuts are a healthy, delicious treat!  


Ingredients:  
  • 12 apples (6 Granny Smith, 6 Honey Crisp)  
  • Juice of 2 lemons    
  • 1 cup white sugar  
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour  
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract  
  • 1 tsp nutmeg  
  • 1/2 cup water  
  • 1 1/2 cup quick-cook oats  
  • 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar  
  • 3/4 cup melted better  
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda  
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder  
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees.  
  2. Peel, core, and slice apples.  
  3. Place apples in baking dish.  ( I prefer to use glass or ceramic)  
  4. Pour lemon juice, as evenly as possible, over the apples.  Toss a couple of times to coat apples.   
  5. In a bowl, mix together the white sugar, 1/4 cup AP flour, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and nutmeg.  
  6. Sprinkle mixture over apples, then pour water over apples and mixture.  
  7. Combine oats, remaining flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and butter together.  Evenly distribute over apples.  
  8. Bake 46-50 minutes.       

If you decide to try this recipe, please shoot me a message and let me know what you think.  I would love to hear from you!  

Auntie Kat's Apple Butter can be purchased at:  
www.royalcottagellc.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment